Saturday, March 24, 2007

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST song of the day


Artist:Otis Redding

Song:Pain In My Heart

Album:Otis! The Definitive Otis Redding





I guess the best thing about Otis Redding is that 40 years after his death in a plane crash, his music is still fresh. This 4CD box set Otis is essential for R & B fans. The first three discs have every essential recording he ever made going back to his pre-Stax days. The fourth disc consists of live recordings from various sources including this version of Pain In My Heart. It's from the 1964 album Apollo Saturday Night. Otis wrote a lot of his own songs usually with Steve Cropper of Booker T & The MGs. He wrote Pain In My Heart but it seems it was too similar to the Allen Toussaint song Ruler Of My Heart. Toussaint successfully sued and the rights for the song reverted to him. It's still a great performance and here's Otis Redding performing Try A Little Tenderness from the 1967 Stax Europe tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment