Saturday, November 29, 2014

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Blood Sisters

Artist:Blood Sisters
Song:Ring My Bell
Album:Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Official Soundtrack




I think most music fans are familiar with the 1979 Anita Ward hit Ring My Bell. I actually like this reggae cover of Ring My Bell better than the original. It went nowhere when it was released in 1979 but was rediscovered when it appeared on the 2003 CD Hustle! Reggae Disco. That led to it appearing in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Of course the music that appears in those games can amass a big following. And this record is really obscure. I'm not sure who the Blood Sisters are but I have my suspicions. The man behind this record is British record producer Neville King. He owned a couple of labels including NK Records and Sound City in the mid-70s. One of the groups he produced was One Blood with brothers Errol, Ewan, Paul and Trevor Robinson. They recorded singles as One Blood and were also King's studio band. So they backed up anyone recording for King. There was a girl group called Simplicity. They were London schoolgirls Sandra Blake, Millicent Taffe, Yvonne Webley and Patricia Rowe. They scored a hit in 1977 with To Be In Love for Jamaican producer Coxsone Dodd. King stole them away from Dodd and produced a couple of singles. But continuing to release them as Simplicity probably wasn't a good idea in case Dodd sued him for using the name. So I think he changed the name to Blood Sisters to avoid Dodd. They were also known as Nairobi Sisters. They only recorded a few singles. Ring My Bell got a boost when it appeared on the various artists CD Hustle! Reggae Disco and then in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The soundtrack for the game is available and it is currently the only place you can get Blood Sisters recording of Ring My Bell. Later on, Neville King discovered Maxi Priest. The group Simplicity still performs in England. I could be way off on my thinking. But it's odd that the members of Blood Sisters were never identified and I don't think that was an accident. Here's a video for Ring My Bell by Blood Sisters.

1 comment:

  1. Frank.., your line of thinking is sound to me. You would make a good detective. For the record I liked the original Anita Ward song "Ring My Bell". But I am some what of a fan of Disco.

    ReplyDelete