Sunday, April 12, 2015

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Maryna Moroz vs Joanne Calderwood

Here's the match video of Maryna Moroz vs Joanne Calderwood from yesterday's UFC show in Poland. When this fight was announced, I posted one of Maryna's fights on the blog. Atypical of UFC newcomers, I thought she would be a very tough opponent for Joanne. She had international experience in China and Brazil and usually wins with an armbar from bottom position. And on the broadcast it was mentioned that she has boxing experience and that her husband and trainer is a former boxer. So I don't know why Joanne was such a big betting favourite except that some fans assume that a UFC newcomer is an automatic underdog. Of course the other thing is Joanne is a big fan favourite. I was rooting for her to win only to see the fan mayhem if she were to challenge for the belt in Glasgow. But I thought it would be a close fight that could go either way. I didn't think it would end in less than two minutes. Joanne came out as she normally does leading with her jab. After landing some punches, Maryna backed her up into the fence with strikes and then went for her trademark armbar from bottom position and it's over. This is Maryna's favourite submission so I don't know why Joanne wouldn't have a defense for it. I have thought since her Invicta days that she needs to work on her ground game and her takedown defense in particular. And we saw that weakness in TUF when Rose Namajunas submitted her. Now that she has lost a fight, maybe she'll work on improving in that area. She needs to be able to prevent takedowns to keep opponents honest. But Maryna was outpunching her anyway. She throws hard. After the fight, She challenged UFC Women's Strawweight Champion Joanna Jedrzrejczyk who was sitting in the front row. Joanna's response was "Let's fight tomorrow". That suits me fine. Make it happen, Dana White. The fan reaction to this has been laughably similar to when Ronda Rousey challenged Miesha Tate in Strikeforce. Look, Maryna just beat the #6 Strawweight contender in a dominant fashion. She didn't beat a scrub. And I like that she called the champ out. I know a couple of fighters who won't like that Maryna jumped the line. They'll get over it. I like both Joanna and Maryna and I think it would be a great fight. I don't care about rankings or pecking order. Maryna Moroz just leaped to the top of the food chain with a big win and a big mouth. Let's see if she can back it up against the champ. Enjoy the video!


No comments:

Post a Comment