Monday, July 01, 2019

Silibrina concert review

Yesterday was the final day of the Toronto Jazz Festival and I went to see the Brazilian jazz band Silibrina. They are a fairly new band. They have only recorded a couple of albums. Though I am more knowledgeable than most, I don't know everything and I am always looking to discover new artists. So when the Toronto Jazz Festival announces their full schedule, I go to that page on their website to see who is coming, especially for free. I was not familiar with Silibrina. Fortunately there is a Youtube video on their artist page. I watched it and decided to go see them. Of course anyone can do this but I think many aren't as open to new music as they claim. Silibrina's music is contemporary jazz fusion with Brazilian and Latin influences. The leader is keyboard player Gabriel Nobrega. He also writes and arranges all the songs. Other members are Wagner Barbosa on sax, Gileno Foinquinos on guitar, Matheus Prado on percussion, Jabes Felipe on drums, Ricardinho Paraiso on bass and Reynaldo Izeppi on trumpet. During the first number, Nobrega's piano stand broke. So there was a delay while tech guys brought a new piano stand. They posted video of that on Facebook which you can see above. They were great after that. All the guys got to solo. I would have liked the show to be a little longer. That's not a bad thing. I would go see them again. Silibrina is also appearing at the Montreal Jazz Festival and Sunfest in London. Then they go to Europe. Bring them back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment