Monday, April 08, 2019

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Neko Case

Artist:Neko Case
Song:Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Album:Hard-Headed Woman: A Celebration of Wanda Jackson




I know there are plenty of Neko Case fans. I met her when I covered the 2004 world premiere of the women's wrestling documentary Lipstick & Dynamite. She composed the music for the film. Her aunt Ella Waldek was a 50s wrestler who was featured in the film. I met her too. Neko asked me where she could find video of Ella. I gave her a few leads. Sometimes I like to feature what I call orphan recordings. Neko's cover of the Chuck Berry classic Brown Eyed Handsome Man does not appear on any of her albums. It appears on the 2004 CD Hard-Headed Woman: A Celebration of Wanda Jackson. Of course Wanda is a rockabilly legend. And she just retired from performing. So she is certainly worthy of a tribute. This album was released by the alt country label Bloodshot Records. I'm pretty sure Jon Rauhouse produced the album. He's a Bloodshot house producer and he is playing pedal steel guitar on the video clip. Others who appear on this album include Carolyn Mark and the Roommates, Nora O'Connor, Asylum Street Spankers, Anna Fermin, Kelly Hogan, Robbie Fulks, The Sweet Hereafter, Cornell Hurd, Rosie Flores, Candye Kane, Trailer Bride, Jan Baxter-Miller, Wayne Hancock, Kristi Rose, Laura Cantrell, Kim Lenz, Sheri Hurst and The Bottle Rockets, The Ranch Girls, The Brisket Boys and Jesse Dayton. This album should be fun as Wanda is a beloved figure in rockabilly fandom. Here's Neko Case performing Brown Eyed Handsome Man on the TV show Chic-A-Go-Go 2004. Jon Rauhouse and Kelly Hogan are in the band. I dunno about the show. It looks like cable access to me. And I guess Neko etc. wore wigs as a gag.

No comments:

Post a Comment