Tuesday, August 03, 2021

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-The Timetones


Artist:The Timetones

Song:In My Heart

Album:Manhattan Doo Wop Vol. 1


The doo wop group The Timetones charted with their very first single In My Heart in 1961. They only recorded a few singles and split up. The Timetones were very typical of doo wop groups. I guess the only unusual thing is they were a mixed race group. Though unusual, that was not unprecedented. The Timetones were from Glen Cove, NY. Roger La Rue was lead singer. Others were Glenn Williams (tenor), Claude "Sonny" Smith (bass), Tom DeGeorge (baritone) and Tom Glozek (second tenor). They won a talent contest at New York City record store Times Square Records. Times Square owner Irving Rose was starting his own label and I think The Timetones were his first signing. The other guy involved in this was songwriter and producer Clarence Johnson. He owned other labels and produced groups like The Charts. Johnson produced In My Heart and he wrote the song with Smith. The single reached #51 on the Billboard Hot 100. The Timetones recorded four singles including one for Atco. But they weren't able to score another hit. You can get In My Heart on this various artists budget CD from Collectables. It looks like other than La Rue, The Timetones left the music business. Here's a video for In My Heart by The Timetones. 


No comments:

Post a Comment