Sunday, September 06, 2020

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Paris

 


Artist:Paris f/Eddie Kendricks

Song:I Choose You

Album:With Love: 18 Romantic Classics


Here's a one off single that was a minor hit in 1984. It will be of interest to fans of Motown legend Eddie Kendricks of The Temptations as he sings uncredited on this record. If that isn't Kendricks on this record then Paris Holley is an excellent impersonator. But I think it is Kendricks. I can only assume that contractual obligations would not allow Kendricks to publicly appear on this record. But then it became a hit in clubs and it doesn't appear on any Kendricks CDs. Paris Holley seems mostly to be a writer and producer. In recent years he has composed soundtracks for low budget movies. But as far as I can tell, this is his only appearance as a singer. That's why I don't think it's him. The other guys behind this record are Carl Davis and Otis Leavill. Davis was a veteran producer at Brunswick Records. By this time Brunswick was out of business and Davis opened his own label Kelli-Arts. He's the kind of guy who would figure out how to use Kendricks without actually using Kendricks' name. Leavill wrote I Choose You. He worked closely with Davis at Brunswick. The band on this record is the Chicago based funk group Merge. They released a 1982 album on RCA which was produced by Carl Davis. You can get I Choose You on various artist CDs like this one from Crimson. It's a good song. I guess the only question is who is actually singing on this record. Here's a video of I Choose You by Paris Holley featuring Eddie Kendricks.


No comments:

Post a Comment