Monday, November 10, 2008

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST Song Of The Day-Alicia Keys

Artist:Alicia Keys f/Ludicris
Song:Like You'll Never See Me Again
Album:As I Am




When I featured Alicia Keys on the blog last year, she was about to release her new CD As I Am. It's been a year so it's time for a progress report. Basically, the CD blew up and sold six million copies. You can't argue with that kind of success. I don't think it's anywhere near as strong as her previous albums. She's still writing and producing her own songs with partner Kerry "Krucial" Brothers so maybe she needs to shake things up a bit. The two have just opened a new recording studio in Long Island so they may not want to shake things up. The lead single No One was a huge success and topped the Billboard Hot 100 for five weeks. I didn't like the song much. It was too much of an anthem for me though I understand that's probably what folks liked about it. Like You'll Never See Me Again was the second single. I like this better and it reached #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 but it actually knocked No One off the top of the R & B singles chart. This remix featuring rapper Ludacris was released only as a single in early 2008. It doesn't look like it will be on any version of the album. This week J Records is releasing As I Am: The Super Edition featuring Another Way To Die, the song Alicia has recorded with Jack White of The White Stripes for the film Quantum Of Solace along with some bonus live tracks. On the film front, Alicia appeared in The Secret Life Of Bees this year. She's still developing a remake of Bell, Book & Candle but it appears that a film called Compositions In Black And White is further along. Alicia will play 1940s biracial piano prodigy Philippa Schuyler. Halle Berry will co-star and Alicia is hoping to begin shooting in early 2009. I still think Alicia Keys is a tremendous talent but not surpisingly her music has gone more towards pop and therefore not as good as her early albums. And with her success I don't expect that to change. Here's the video for Like You'll Never See Me Again by Alicia Keys with rapper Common playing the shooting victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment