Saturday, November 17, 2018

Felicia Spencer is the new Invicta Featherweight Champion

Last night Invicta FC 32 was at Firelake Arena in Shawnee, OK. I watched it on UFC Fight Pass via Roku. The show was the usual mixed bag because of poor main card matchmaking. But that wasn't true of the main event. Felicia Spencer beat Pam Sorenson to to become the Invicta Featherweight Champion. She won with a fourth round rear naked choke. Felicia dominated round one. Pam did better in round two. But Felicia won round three and then in round four she won with the choke she was trying to get in round one. It went as I expected as Felicia is an elite fighter and Pam isn't. There's no way she gets a title shot if there is any depth in Welterweight. But most of the fighters in the division are worse than Pam. I don't know how long Felicia and her coach Mike Lee want to stay in Invicta. But we'll see her in the UFC in 2019. The co-main event had Mizuki winning over Viviane Pereira by unanimous decision. This was at Strawweight. Mizuki is now training with Ray Longo in Long Island, NY. He was yelling instructions through a translator. This was Viviane's first fight since leaving the UFC. She was doing the same things she was doing in the UFC, which is nothing much. Mizuki tried to finish her a few times but couldn't quite do it. In an Atomweight bout, Ashley Cummins beat Jessica Delboni by unanimous decision. It was an easy win for Ashley. She is now training with Manny Hernandez at San Diego Combat Club. Jessica was undefeated in the Brazilian regional circuit. She didn't look good and should not have been on the main card. I guess they are trying to build Ashley up to a title shot. In a 150lb catchweight bout, Kaitlyn Young won over Sarah Patterson by second round TKO. Sarah was a late replacement when the original opponent had visa issues. The fight went as expected but I would like to see Kaitlyn face better opposition. In a Bantamweight bout, Julia Avila won over Alexa Connors by second round TKO. The last time we saw Julia, she suffered a hand injury and the doctor stopped the fight. So this was my first good look at her and I like what I saw. We could see her in the UFC down the road. In a Flyweight bout, Erin Blanchfield beat Kay Hansen by majority decision. One of the judges scored it a draw and the other two scored it 29-28 for Erin. I was expecting a much livelier fight from these two so I was disappointed. In a Flyweight bout, Stephanie Geltmacher beat Liz Tracy by unanimous decision. This won fight of the night. They both performed well. But Stephanie seems to be an elite fighter. And she has charisma. some might think at 5'1" she is short for Flyweight. But she reminds me of Rin Nakai with her muscular build and low center of gravity. So I like her so far. In a Flyweight bout, Kathryn Paprocki won over Isis Verbeek by unanimous decision. Kathryn basically smothered Isis who looked inept. Isis is a Glory kickboxer who was bored with kickboxing and wanted to try MMA. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea. And in a Bantamweight bout, Chelsea Chandler won over Mitzi Merry by unanimous decision. Chelsea won easily over an inept Mitzi. I think it was one of Invicta's better shows. And congratulations to Felicia Spencer for winning the Invicta Featherweight Championship.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the match between Kay Hansen and Erin Blanchfield and was disappointed by their performance. But I have to give Erin the win. She was the more dominant of the two fighters. At one point Kay looked to be in serious trouble and the Ref stood them up. Something Julie Kedzie objected to and I agree. I think she could have gotten a submission from Kay or come very close, if she kept working at it. Kay did keep the fight on their feet and wisely did not go to the ground. But she needs better defense and a better ground game. She and Erin both need better striking abilities. I saw the fight between Kaitlin Young and Patterson. I give Patterson credit for taking the fight on short notice, but she was outclassed by Young. Your right she does need tougher, better opponents. I will be watching more of the fights tonight Frank. Thanks for the post. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, I just went back and watched the match between Stephanie Geltmacher and Liz Tracy. That was indeed fight of the night. I agree that Stephanie has charisma and talent and some really good fighting skills. That was my kind of fight. Fast and standing slugfest. Both of them put on a really good show. Yours David.

    ReplyDelete