Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jango Song Of The Day-Mitty Collier

Artist:Mitty Collier
Song:I Had A Talk With My Man
Album:Chess Soul: A Decade Of Chicago's Finest





Dusty Springfield's version of I Had A Talk With My Man is probably better known but it was originally recorded by the underrated Mitty Collier. She recorded for Chess in the 60s but didn't have much commercial success. She was born June 21, 1941 in Birmingham. AL and grew up singing in church. She toured with the Hayes Ensemble gospel group and while visiting her brother in Chicago in 1959, she won DJ Al Benson's talent contest seven weeks in a row. Benson tipped off Ralph Bass of Chess Records and Mitty signed with Chess in 1960. She's an excellent singer but she never seemed to have much commercial success. I Had A Talk With My Man was her biggest hit in 1964 and it barely reached the top 40. The song is based on the James Cleveland gospel standard I Had A Talk With God and was written by Chess house producers Leonard Caston and Billy Davis. Kent Records has released a comp of Mitty's recordings but I think this 2CD Chess Soul comp is excellent for beginners. Mitty Collier left Chess in 1969 and recorded an album for William Bell's Peachtree label. But by 1972 she left secular music and returned to the church. She has recorded occasionally and is currently pastor of More Like Christ Christian Fellowship Ministries in Chicago. Check out this 1965 performance of I Had A Talk With My Man by Mitty Collier. I think you'll find it's a lost classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment