Sunday, March 19, 2017

Cynthia Calvillo vs Pearl Gonzalez added to Apr. 8 UFC show

Pearl Gonzalez
During yesterday's UFC broadcast, it was announced that Cynthia Calvillo vs Pearl Gonzalez has been added to UFC 210 Apr. 8 at KeyBank Center in Buffalo. This will air on the main card PPV. It's a quick turnaround for Cynthia who made her UFC debut on UFC 209 Mar. 4 and she beat Amanda Bobby Cooper with a first round rear naked choke. Cynthia's record is 4-0 and she trains at Team Alpha Male in Sacramento, CA. Pearl is new to the UFC but I have seen her before. She's from Chicago and she trains at Combat-Do. Her record is 6-1. Probably her highest profile win was over current UFC fighter Cortney Casey by third round armbar on the Oct. 18, 2013 XFC show in Nashville to win the XFC Flyweight Championship. This is the fight I saw. The other notable thing about this fight is Cortney launched an appeal due to Pearl's excessive use of spray tan. I'm not kidding. Pearl dropped to 115 in 2015 to get to the UFC. Her most recent fight was a second round submission win over Katie Casimir at the Apr. 30, 2016 HFC show in Hammond, IN. Pearl is 30 years old and Cynthia is 29. So it's not surprising that the UFC is looking to elevate one of them very quickly. Cynthia delivered in her UFC debut. But I think Pearl is a better opponent. So I'm looking for an exciting fight.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered when you were going to get to commenting abut this match up. I saw this on Twitter last night and immediately thought of you Mr. Frank Pozen. Thank-you for your insight and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do happen to like Pearl,because she comes from Chicago originally and I like her name "Pearl" it's cool in my book.

    ReplyDelete