Thursday, October 28, 2010

Jango Song Of The Day-My Morning Jacket

Artist:My Morning Jacket
Song:It Beats 4 U
Album:Okonokos





My Morning Jacket is a popular alt rock band heavily influenced by Neil Young & Crazy Horse and other forms of roots music. Their albums have done well and I would say they have a very significant cult following. The lead singer, guitarist and main songwriter of My Morning Jacket is Jim James (born James Olliges Jr.). He is from Louisville, KY. He fronted a band called A Month Of Sundays. When they split up, he formed My Morning Jacket in 1998 with Tom "Two-Tone Tommy" Blankenship on bass, J. Glenn on drums and Johnny Quaid on guitar. They recorded their first two albums for the indie label Darla Records. Keyboard player Danny Cash joined during this period. They signed with Dave Matthews' ATO Records in 2002 with Sony distribution. Glenn left and was replaced by Patrick Hallahan. Their major label debut CD It Still Moves was released in 2003. Quaid and Cash left and were replaced by Carl Broemel and Bo Koster. It Beats 4 U is from their 2004 breakthrough CD Z. It reached #67 on the Billboard Hot 200. They followed this up with the 2007 live CD Okonokos. This was filmed at the Fillmore in San Francisco. They're an outstanding live act so I recommend the 2CD set and DVD which are available seperately. Their 2008 CD Evil Urges did even better and they also got a lot of attention for their four hour concert at Bonnaroo 2008. My Morning Jacket is currently recording a new album and continue to tour. Jim James and Carl Broemel have had success with side projects too. Here's My Morning Jacket performing It Beats 4 U from the Okonokos DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment