Tuesday, November 17, 2009

TNA booking is simply baffling

I have for you video of the two Knockouts matches from Sunday's TNA PPV. The two matches have one thing in common, baffling TNA booking decisions. The matches are OK, not great. The first one has ODB, Taylor Wilde & Sarita vs Lacey Von Erich, Velvet Sky & Madison Rayne. The gimmick is that ODB's TNA Knockouts Title and Taylor & Sarita's TNA Knockouts Tag Team Titles can change hands. Obviously I hate that type of booking. But they didn't do anything with it anyway so that part was pointless. Instead TNA decided to book ODB as a monster by having her take care of The Beautiful People singlehandedly. I can understand why they would want to do that because ODB may have the title but the angle with Cody Deaner made her look very foolish. I guess they have to rehabilitate her AND TNA has signed her to a new contract. It's also very clear from this match that TNA has a big problem with Lacey Von Erich. They're doing whatever they can to avoid putting her in the ring. And the fans have caught on. They started chanting You Can't Wrestle the moment she entered the ring and someone in the front row had a sign reading Lacey Von Botch. TNA will have to do something about this because she's not getting the reaction that they want.
The second match has Awesome Kong vs Tara in a cage. The whole feud has been very odd because neither of them has the title. And I don't know why this was in a cage. Of course we don't know why TNA does a lot of things. And FYI, when Awesome Kong went to Japan in 2002, her very first match was in a cage. TNA probably thought the cage made it special. The match has gotten mostly negative reviews. I didn't think it was that bad but I thought the second half of the match was somewhat odd. In the first half, AK dominates and even busts out a missile dropkick. Tara turns the tide but her offense didn't look strong especially against someone who is supposed to be invincible. And I didn't think much of the ending. Has Tara ever come off the top of a cage before? I doubt it. It wasn't horrible but it was shaky. So now they're going to do a title program with ODB and Tara and they're both babyfaces. And I don't see how they can book AK as invincible after this. So colour me baffled by TNA's booking. Enjoy the videos!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:10 PM

    Hopefully that's the end of The Beautiful People as the main contenders for the tag titles. Taylor and Sarita are too good to be lumbered with them. The whole Beautiful People basically died when Angelina Love got released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I am a newcomer to ladies professional wrestling. I have been a wrestling fan for a long time. Back in the 70's and early 80's I had a bit of respect for the women. Then it went the way of T&A and women that had the beauty of beautiful women but 0% brawn. Then I came across IWA and saw their Queen of the Death Match. Not beautiful women but women that wrestled with a passion (they have to). There I ran across Mickie Knuckles vs Mayumi Ozaki match.

    I watched with a fascination on how the women of the IWA ripped each other apart whether with fist wrapped in glass punching each other, light bulbs smashed across each others backs and faces. I never thought there was wrestling like this with women. Yes I watched some ECW and it was ok. I admired the talent and how crazy it was.

    I then googled Mayumi Ozaki. Only to find out that Japan had these sort of Death Matches and womens standard wrestling matches going on way before ECW. Now do get me wrong. It is not only death matches that I get my thrill from but also regular matches.

    In my opinion from what I have seen in the last week or so the Japanese wrestle like their lives depend on it. It is not the big gimmicks that Americans see week after week it is more real. I am an American and what I have seen on TV from American productions (Men or Women) bore me to tears. As I have watched the Japanese wrestling it lights the wrestling fire underneath me. I know it is not real but the sacrifice and not just the total showmanship is what gets that fire burning for a wrestling fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ozaki has her own company called OZ Academy. She does hardcore stuff sometimes but it is possible to go overboard with that kind of stuff. And she has worked for Big Japan and the now defunct FMW. Both companies specialize in hardcore matches. But the women there don't do it as much as you might think. I post videos sometimes and you might want to check Youtube. Recently there was Kyoko Kimura's leap from the Korakuen Hall balcony and another match that used a vending machine. I've been watching this stuff for a long time and seen some very strange things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha.....A vending machine. I have not seen that one yet. Thank you for the Kyoko Kimura heads up. I watched that. That was quite a leap considering it was just plain wooden bleachers that she was jumping onto. If she had missed by 6 inches she would have broke a leg or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That leap did break Kayoko Haruyama's rib.

    ReplyDelete