Saturday, December 01, 2007

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST Song Of The Day-Whitney Houston


Artist:Whitney Houston

Song:How Will I Know?

Album:The Greatest Hits





Of course Whitney Houston has been a huge star with superior vocal ability. But her personal issues have waylaid her career and it remains to be seen if she can come back. She was born Aug. 9, 1963 in Newark, NJ and her mom is R & B singer Cissy Houston. She started singing backup vocals in 1978 and also pursued modelling & acting. Her first featured vocal was with Bill Laswell's group Material in 1982 alongside Archie Shepp & Fred Frith. Imagine that. Arista Records head Clive Davis saw her in a nightclub and signed her in 1983. Her 1985 debut was a monster and How Will I Know was a big hit in 1986. The song was written by by George Merril & Shannon Rubicam AKA Boy Meets Girl for Janet Jackson. She turned it down and Arista talked Narada Michael Walden into producing the song for Whitney. He would produce a lot of hits for her. This 2CD comp includes an entire CD of remixes. It's probably a bit much for most fans and Arista has recently released the more concise comp The Ultimate Collection. That's the one I would recommend. I'm not going to get into Whitney's personal problems but I'll just say that I prefer her earlier records and I'd like to see her get back to being a great singer and less of a celebrity. There are rumours that she's working on a new CD with Clive Davis. Here's the video for How Will I Know by Whitney Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment