Saturday, October 17, 2020

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Freeez


 Artist:Freeez

Song:I.O.U.

Album:The Funkin 80s


The British group Freeez started out as a jazz funk group in the late 70s. They had success when they got into dance music in the 80s. Most of their success was in Europe. But the 1983 single I.O.U. topped the US Club Play chart. John Rocca started Freeez in 1978. After releasing a couple of albums on his own label, he signed with Beggars Banquet. The 1983 album Gonna Get You was the first album for Beggars Banquet. The album was produced by Arthur Baker who also produced Afrika Bambaataa. He also wrote I.O.U. with his usual writing partner John Robie. The female singer is Baker's wife Tina B. Rocca is the male singer. Other musicians are Andy Stennett on electric piano, Charles Street on guitar, Peter Maas on bass and Everton McCalla on drums. Stennett, Robie and Fred Zarr played synthesizer. On the album I.O.U. is eight minutes long. After Beggars Banquet released a radio edit, I.O.U. reached #3 on the British Singles chart and it topped the Billboard Club Play chart. It charted internationally. Rocca went solo and charted with the 1984 single I Want It To Be Real. He continued to record into the 90s until he quit the music business in 1993 and went into IT. Maas continued Freeez with the 1985 album Idle Vice. But it was unsuccessful and Freeez split up for good. You can get I.O.U. on this 2CD various artists budget comp that was sold on TV in Europe. Here's the video for I.O.U. by Freeez.


No comments:

Post a Comment