Sunday, July 22, 2018

Inept judges ruin Invicta FC 30 main event

There are two big problems with Invicta continuing to run shows in Kansas City to save money. One is that Kansas City is a terrible MMA city. There were plenty of fans at last night's show disguised as empty seats. And the Missouri officials are inept. If it's not one of the refs screwing up, the judges always seem to come up with the wrong decision in close fights. And last night's main event wasn't even that close. So instead of celebrating Jinh Yu Frey's Invicta Atomweight Championship win, we're talking about how the judges got it wrong. I thought Minna Grusander won the fight 49-46 and plenty of others including the broadcasters did too. I thought Minna was more aggressive and controlled the action. Jinh stayed too far away most of the time. It was not a great fight but I've seen worse including one on this show. But the one thing we want and won't get is an explanation from the Missouri commission. There needs to be accountability for controversial decisions. And maybe athletic commissions need to start firing inept judges. They aren't above the law though they think they are. It's a state agency, not a private club. Fans want and deserve answers for ineptitude. And I'm talking about real answers, not the kind of lame excuses we get from Nevada each time Adelaide Byrd screws up. Let's go on to the other fights. As expected, Felicia Spencer won over Helena Kolesnyk with a second round rear naked choke. Afterwards, Felicia called out Megan Anderson who lives in Kansas City. Paging Sean Shelby! And I don't want to see Helena again. She's awful. In a Strawweight bout, Heather Jo Clark beat Kinberly Novaes by unanimous decision. This was the worst fight on the show. They were both bad. They said on the broadcast that Heather considered retirement after her UFC release. Instead she wants to keep subjecting us to poor fights. And Kinberly was worse. In a Flyweight bout, Brogan Walker-Sanchez beat Miranda Maverick by unanimous decision. Brogan lost round one but she came back and Miranda faded. In a Bantamweight bout, Stephanie Geltmacher beat Kerri Kenneson by first round TKO. In an Atomweight bout, Alesha Zappitella won by unanimous decision over late replacement Jillian DeCoursey. In an Atomweight bout, Alyse Anderson put Stephanie Alba to sleep with a second round triangle choke. And in a Flyweight bout, Erin Blanchfield got off to a slow start but won over Brittney Cloudy by unanimous decision. The next Invicta show will be Sept. 1.

3 comments:

  1. I can see my leaving after the first fight, which I did not like at all, was the right decision after all. It sounds like a waste of our valuable time Frank. If this is the direction Invicta wants then have at it, I won't be around to watch. Thanks Frank, know I understand your tweet earlier that I read. Yours David Shepard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, you're paying for Fight Pass. Watch the damn show. There was nothing wrong with that first match considering that both fighters are new to pro fighting. If I had known at that time that you had turned it off, I would have given you shit. In fact, with her amateur experience, I expect Erin Blanchfield to be a top fighter once she gets a few fights under her belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Frank. Will do in the future. As for Erin Blanchfield I hope you are right about her. You keep poking me and reminding me to do the right thing here and I will do it. Yours David.

    ReplyDelete