Sunday, July 29, 2018

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Tecia Torres

Here's the match video of Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Tecia Torres from last night's UFC show in Calgary. Both fighters were on two fight losing streaks thinking a win could get either into the title picture. I thought Joanna would win because I didn't think Tecia's usual fighting style of darting in and out would work against Joanna. Tecia obviously thought that too because she tried something different but it didn't work either. Tecia decided to run Joanna into the fence and control her with the clinch. But she didn't do anything with it. Cage control is the same as takedowns. It means nothing if the fighter doesn't follow it up with effective offense. And Joanna was much more effective in the clinch. She was also more effective at a distance especially using push kicks. This fight showed how limited Tecia is. She's been overrated for a long time. So I scored the fight 30-27 for Joanna and so did the judges. I would have like to seen Joanna finish but after winning the first two rounds, she didn't need it. I don't expect Joanna to get a title shot. There are other fighters in the road like Tatiana Suarez and Jessica Andrade. And next week another potential contender Polyana Viana will be on UFC 227. We'll see what the UFC wants to do with Joanna. As for Tecia, she was really exposed in this fight as lacking. I'm not sure she has the ability to reinvent herself. Welcome to Palookaville, Tecia Torres. Enjoy the video!

1 comment:

  1. Frank, I saw all three fights that night. The first two I saw on UFC Fight Pass, which I am going to renew for another month. The last fight between Tecia and Joanna I went to a sports bar and watched on a big screen TV. Frank, your harsh but fair in your analysis of all three fights and of all the fighters. Sadly as much as I like Tecia, I am afraid I have to agree with you. And that makes me sad. I was hoping for something better for her. But I guess it's not going to happen. Thank-you Frank for your views and analysis of all these fighters. You have keen insight to this sport.

    ReplyDelete