Saturday, July 07, 2018

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Timbuk 3

Artist:Timbuk 3
Song:The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
Album:On The Charts: I.R.S. Records 1979-1994



I'm sure most music fans remember The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades but know nothing about the artist. Timbuk 3 was the husband wife duo of Pat and Barbara MacDonald. The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades was a top twenty hit in 1986. It was a one hit wonder. Pat MacDonald met Barbara while she was a student at the University of Wisconsin in 1977. Both are Wisconsin natives. They married and moved down to Austin, TX and got into the music scene. Pat MacDonald had written songs for others including Stewart Copeland of The Police. Stewart's brother Miles Copeland owned I.R.S. Records. Stewart frequently suggested artists for the label. Timbuk 3 signed with I.R.S. and the album Greetings From Timbuk 3 was released in Oct. 1986. The single The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades reached #19 on the Billboard Hot 100. Though the video made the song look tongue in cheek, MacDonald says the song is supposed to be a serious warning about the potential of a nuclear holocaust. Timbuk 3 recorded four albums for I.R.S. but they were unable to score another chart hit. You can get The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades on this budget comp of I.R.S. hit singles. Timbuk 3 recorded three albums after leaving I.R.S. and they divorced in 1995. Pat MacDonald has recorded solo and he leads a couple of bands. Barbara now calls herself by her maiden name Barbara Kooyman and she has recorded three solo albums. Of course Timbuk 3 will forever be known for the one hit wonder The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades. Here's the video for The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades by Timbuk 3.

1 comment:

  1. Used to watch them on MTV all the time. Had no idea the song was about nuclear war. Thanks so much Frank.

    ReplyDelete