Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Alexis Davis vs Cindy Dandois added to Apr. 22 UFC show

Alexis Davis, Cindy Dandois
It was announced today that Alexis Davis vs Cindy Dandois has been added to UFC Fight Night 109 Apr. 22 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. This will air on Fox Sports 1 in the US and TSN in Canada. Both are veteran fighters but Cindy is new to the UFC. Alexis is from Port Colborne, ON which is between St. Catherines and Niagara Falls. She trains at Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu in California which is also home for the Diaz brothers and Leslie Smith. After taking a year off to have a baby, she lost to Sara McMann in Dec. 2016. She has good submission skills but she is prone to errors and that usually costs her matches. Cindy may be new to the UFC but Invicta fans are familiar with her and I knew about her long before that. Cindy is from Belgium and I first heard of her when Scott Coker was looking to bring her in to Strikeforce but he never did. I saw a couple of her European fights including a loss to current Invicta Bantamweight Championship contender Yana Kunitskaya. In that occasion, she seemed to get jobbed by a Russian ref. Then she took time off to have a baby. With three kids and a teaching career, Cindy wasn't planning a return to fighting. But a 2014 trip to Las Vegas to help Miesha Tate train convinced her to return. The thing I remember is how bad she looked challenging Tonya Evinger for the Invicta Bantamweight Championship. And I know she has won fights since then. She got hit in the face and she folded like a cheap suitcase. I guess it just makes me wonder about her resolve. Cindy has also fought at 145 and she was supposed to fight Cris Cyborg in Invicta last year. I think Cris got sick or something. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. I guess she's an OK but flawed fighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment