Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wrestlicious signs TV deal


So I'm sure you're all aware of Wrestlicious, the women's wrestling TV series that can be best described as a reinvention of GLOW. After many promises of an airdate, they finally announced last night that they have signed a one year deal with MAV-TV in the US and BITE-TV in Canada. Co-producer Jimmy Hart and Canadian wrestler Jennifer Blake (pictured) appeared on the BITE show The Surf to make the announcement. They're actually calling the show Wrestlicious Takedown. The show will debut on both networks March 1. So is this a good thing or a bad thing? Well, it's not their first choice. They tried to syndicate it but couldn't sell it to enough stations. There was a rumour that they had been talking to FOX about placing the show on affiliates. It didn't happen so this is a fallback position. It's a good fit in Canada because BITE is available to anyone who has a digital cable box. Also, BITE executive producer Jason Agnew is a long time radio wrestling commentator. And BITE already shows classic wrestling from St. Louis and Memphis. Agnew also said he plans to post the shows on the BITE website. MAV-TV is a little more problematic. Though it's available on Dish Network, the network is not available on many cable systems. I'm already hearing grumbling from fans who don't get MAV. I think it's a mixed result especially for fans in the US. But most folks should be able to watch it on the BITE website (http://www.bite.ca/ ). I expect the product to at least be halfway decent because most of the wrestlers are experienced. I didn't like the skits that I saw on their trailer and I don't think that the skits or the contrived stereotypical characters are necessary. Hopefully that stuff won't hurt the show too much.

2 comments:

  1. I never even heard of MAV-TV. I guess I'll have to depend on someone to upload it so I can laugh at the first episode, or maybe you can stream BITE on justin.tv for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BITE streams videos on their site so you should be able to watch it there.

    ReplyDelete