Thursday, September 17, 2009

How to get a free DVR from Rogers Cable

Rogers Cable is known to have the worst customer service that anyone will ever encounter. It's very difficult to get a straight answer from them and as I will illustrate, they will bribe you to go away. Recently Rogers did a channel realignment and they got rid of a lot of duplicate channels. They decided to eliminate three time shifting channels; Global Saint John, Global Winnipeg and NTV St. John's. I was using Global Saint John to watch ECW. It's on Global at Midnight Saturday morning and I was watching it on Global Saint John at 11PM. No reason was given in the letter. Of course Rogers has the right to do that but deleting time shifting channels isn't something they should be doing. So I called them to find out why they were doing that. After giving several excuses that didn't make sense and I didn't believe, Rogers offered me a free Personal Video Recorder for a year so I would go away. Of course I accepted it but I still wanted an answer to a reasonable question. The customer service department continued to make excuses and not answer the question because they haven't been given a reason. I told them that I thought it was a boneheaded arbitrary decision but I wanted to talk to someone who could confirm that. So I called the Office Of The President. The official reason for deleting three timeshifting channels is to make room for future expansion of the channel lineup. Of course that's a half answer because these days Rogers is adding mostly HD versions of existing channels. This is precisely why people hate Rogers Cable. They make a bad decision and refuse to admit it. But at least I got a free PVR out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Cable companies suck in the U.S. as well. No one has given me a free DVR-I guess I don't complain as well as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't even complaining that much. But the girl figured out that she didn't have an answer that I was going to believe.

    ReplyDelete