Tuesday, July 06, 2021

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Donny & Marie Osmond


Artist:Donny & Marie Osmond

Song:I'm Leaving It All Up To You

Album:Greatest Hits


So we all remember the Donny & Marie variety show that ran from 1976-79. Well, I remember it but I didn't watch it. But before that they scored a top five hit in 1974 with I'm Leaving It All Up To You. So it started with The Osmonds. Then Donny had solo success. And then Marie scored a top five hit in 1973 with Paper Roses. So I guess it was inevitable that Donny and Marie would sing together. Those decisions were usually made by oldest brother Alan Osmond. He produced the 1974 album I'm Leaving It All Up To You with MGM Records president Mike Curb. I'm Leaving It All Up To You reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was written by Don "Sugarcane" Harris and Dewey Terry and they recorded it as Don & Dewey in 1957. The 1963 version by Dale & Grace topped the charts. The other top ten hit from the album was Morning Side of the Mountain. The album was certified Gold. Then Donny & Marie hosted The Mike Douglas Show for a week. ABC's Fred Silverman offered them the variety show which ran from 1976-79. It was popular at first and then like everything it ran its course. And so did Donny & Marie recording as a duo. They recorded five albums from 1974-77. This budget comp is short but it's the only one available on CD and as a digital download. Here's Donny & Marie Osmond performing I'm Leaving It All Up To You on the German TV show Disco 1974.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment