Monday, May 09, 2022

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-My Bloody Valentine


Artist:My Bloody Valentine

Song:You Made Me Realise

Album:EPs 1988-1991


The 80s post punk band My Bloody Valentine were influential because of their use of guitar distortion, effects and feedback. This was labelled by the British music press as Shoegaze. This was influential on what became known as Neo Psychedelia. My Bloody Valentine are from Dublin, Ireland. Kevin Shields was born May 21, 1963 in Queens, NY. His parents were Irish immigrants. The family moved to Dublin in 1973. After receiving an electric guitar as a Christmas present, he befriended drummer Colm O Ciosoig and after a couple of attempts, they formed My Bloody Valentine in 1983. The band name was one of several that were considered. Shields claims he was unaware of the 1981 horror movie My Bloody Valentine. The lead singer was David Conway who would later become an author. The band were told the Irish music scene would not accept them. So after moving to Europe for a year, they moved to London in 1985. They still weren't getting anywhere. Debbie Googe was the new bassist. They finally caught a break when Creation Records co-owner Joe Foster had them record a 1986 EP. The minor success of the EP encouraged My Bloody Valentine to perform more frequently in the London area. After releasing a 1987 single on Lazy Records, Conway left so they had to find a new lead singer. They eventually settled on the very inexperienced Bilinda Butcher. Shields had to teach her to play guitar. She shared lead vocals with Shields. After opening for Biff Bang Pow! in Jan. 1988, that band's leader and Creation Records co-owner Alan McGee invited My Bloody Valentine to record a single. This would become the EP You Made Me Realise. It was also their first music video. It reached #2 on the UK Indie chart. The 1988 album Isn't Anything did even better. So now they are getting somewhere. But when the cost of the 1991 album Loveless bankrupted Creation, that was the beginning of the end for My Bloody Valentine. They signed with Island Records but the album they were supposed to record never happened and My Bloody Valentine split up in 1995. Shields has attempted to revive My Bloody Valentine. There have been reunions and a 2013 album. But today My Bloody Valentine are praised as an influence by Billy Corgan amd Courtney Love among others. This CD contains their late 80s EPs. Here's the video for You Made Me Realise by My Bloody Valentine.









No comments:

Post a Comment