Sunday, August 14, 2016

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Istela Nunes vs Mei "VV Mei" Yamaguchi

The last time we saw VV Mei she lost a split decision to ONE Championship Fighting golden girl Angela Lee. Fans asked me to look at the fight to see if Mei got jobbed. I thought Angela won the fight. But one thing I don't like is ONE does not identify the judges or announce the scores. So it's deja vu all over again. At yesterday's ONE show in Macao, Brazilian Istela Nunes won by split decision over Mei. So again fans asked me to check out the fight. ONE scores the fight as a whole as opposed to the ten point system. Most of the time it shouldn't matter. I didn't like this fight as much as Mei's fight with Angela. I didn't think Istela was very effective. She's supposed to be a Muay Thai champ and she's much bigger than Mei. One would think she would use that advantage but she just didn't do enough. Round one was nondescript. Mei got a takedown but she didn't do much with it and actually pulled Istela to her feet. Istela needed to be more active. So marginally I scored the round 10-9 for Mei. Mei did better in the second round after a takedown with some ground and pound and submission attempts. Istela did reverse it but it wasn't enough. I scored the round 10-9 for Mei. The third round was similar to round one. Even if I'm scoring the fight as a whole, Mei's mat control in the second round gets her the win. I scored it 30-27 for Mei. Istela simply did not do enough to get the win no matter how you score it. I don't know what the judges were watching. Check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment