Sunday, August 21, 2016

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Gregg Allman

Artist:Gregg Allman
Song:I'm No Angel
Album:One More Silver Dollar: The Solo Years 1973-1997




Of course Gregg Allman is best known as lead singer and keyboard player of The Allman Brothers Band. But he also had success as a solo artist including the 1987 hit I'm No Angel. He usually records solo when The Allman Brothers Band is on a break. He was born Dec. 8, 1947 in Nashville. With his guitarist brother Duane, Gregg had several bands until they hit it big in the late 60s with The Allman Brothers Band. After Duane died in a 1971 motorcycle accident, the band continued. They had great success with the Dickie Betts song Ramblin' Man. At the same time, Gregg released his 1973 solo debut album Laid Back and he had success with Midnite Rider, a song The Allman Brothers Band had recorded a few years earlier. He toured solo to support the album. But things started to fall apart during the recording of the 1975 Allman Brothers album Win, Lose or Draw. Gregg married Cher and spent more time with her. He split with the band and the rest of the band formed Sea Level. Allman formed The Gregg Allman Band and he released the 1977 album Playin' Up A Storm. And he released the album with Cher Two The Hard Way. They tried to tour to support it but they were not well received and the tour was cancelled. The Allman Brothers Band reunited and recorded two albums for Arista. It didn't go well and they split up in 1982. Allman and Cher divorced in 1979. So he took a break and drank heavily. He thought his career was over. In 1986, he reformed The Gregg Allman Band and signed with Epic. I'm No Angel was released in 1987 and the band went on tour. The album was certified Gold and the single I'm No Angel got some airplay. The song was written by British session musicians Tony Colton and Phil Palmer. The guitar solo is by Dan Toler who had worked with Betts in the 70s. Allman continued to record though he was still having drinking problems. He also reunited The Allman Brothers Band for a 20th anniversary tour in 1989. And the band signed with Epic. The band was successful enough that Allman wouldn't record solo until 1997. Midnite Rider and I'm No Angel are on different labels. But they are both on this comp from the British reissue label Raven Records. Due to Allman Brothers reunions and health problems, Allman wouldn't record again until 2011. He has recorded a new album produced by Don Was scheduled for a 2017 release and I expect he will tour to support it. Here's the video for I'm No Angel by Gregg Allman.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Allman Brothers Band. Many of their hits got airplay back when I was growing up in Traverse City back in the 70's. There was time when Southern Rock was big, and they led the way along with Lynard Synard. I remember Midnight Rider, that song got a lot of airplay. Later in life I got into many of their other songs. I loved the influence of the Blues on their music. On many of their live versions I would hear Gregg give credit to a Blues artist before doing a particular song. One of my all time favorites. I did not know about Gregg's drinking, but I am not surprised. Drugs and acohol have always taken their toll among music artists, especially back int he 60's 70's and 80's and I am sure even today it's still there. Thanks so much Frank for profiling one of my favorites. Yours David./

    ReplyDelete