Monday, February 29, 2016

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Frank Sinatra and Natalie Cole

Artist:Frank Sinatra and Natalie Cole
Song:I Get A Kick Out Of You
DVD:Concert Collection





With the recent death of Natalie Cole, I thought it might be interesting to look at the time she sang a duet with Ol' Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra. I bet most of you don't know about this. Sometimes I find oddities like this. The two never recorded together but Natalie appeared on the 1977 ABC TV special Sinatra and Friends. Of course this was after Sinatra's 1970 retirement. I always laugh when I see clips from his retirement concert. He came out of retirement in 1973 and he did a lot of TV specials in the 70s. Natalie had just become a big star after her 1975 smash This Will Be. Sinatra was pals with her dad. So it's not surprising that he would want to sing with her. It's the only time they performed together. Of course I Get A Kick Out Of You is from the 1934 Cole Porter musical Anything Goes and was made famous by Ethel Merman. The song was a regular part of Sinatra's repertoire for years. Natalie also sings I've Got Love On My Mind which was her new single at the time. Others who perform with Sinatra on this show include Robert Merrill, Dean Martin, Loretta Lynn, Tony Bennett, Leslie Uggams and John Denver. This TV special was released on DVD in 2002. It is now out of print. But Shout! Factory has included it on the 7DVD box set Concert Collection. This is a comprehensive collection of Sinatra's TV specials from the 60s to the 80s and also includes a Christmas DVD and the 2003 PBS special Vintage Sinatra. This is a must for Sinatra fans. Here's Frank Sinatra and Natalie Cole performing I Get A Kick Out Of You on the 1977 TV special Sinatra and Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment