Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Devil Masami retires

I am happy to report that Devil Masami finally retired after 31 years in joshi puroresu. The show was Dec. 30 at Korakuen Hall. Look, I have a lot of respect for what Devil accomplished but I would be a lot more respectful if she had retired ten years ago. Not to mention this year long "road to retirement" that droned on so long it makes one numb. Enough! Retire already! I know people will be pissed with me but I do not share in the Devil lovefest. Sorry. The problem with the show itself was it was televised live on GAORA in a limited timeslot. So the show had nine matches mostly representing all the different current joshi promotions along with Devil's retirement ceremony. So they had to rush through the matches to be sure to get the entire retirement ceremony in the broadcast. So anyone looking for a quality wrestling product wasn't going to find it here. Devil did the job to Toshie Uematsu in her retirement match. But she's been doing jobs for several months on her "road to retirement". So I don't see it as a big deal. I'm glad it's over. I bet she comes back. Just kidding. It was a joshi who's who at the ceremony including Mariko Yoshida, Commando Bolshoi, Yumiko Hotta, Dump Matsumoto, Meiko Satomura, Takako Inoue, Aja Kong, Ran YuYu etc etc. Then Devil got to sing and it's over. Devil Masami was a great wrestler in her day but she stopped being great a long time ago. And one of the things that has hurt joshi is old ladies hanging around after their "best before" date and taking up spots that should be passed to younger wrestlers. So you'll have to excuse my cynicism over someone who I believe should have retired a long time ago. That seems selfish to me. Sorry if anyone is offended but I'm not really sorry for saying what others may be thinking.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just glad Devil didn't retire with the old mandatory age 26 rule they used to have. We got to enjoy her for many years. She can still contribute as a commentator, booker, etc. But she defintately was an asset to the world or pro women's wrestling. Thank you, Devil!

    ReplyDelete