Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Interview with MMA fighter Tara LaRosa

The following interview with MMA fighter Tara LaRosa is courtesy of Fernando Avila of Bout Review USA.



If sharp wit, honesty and a great sense of humor are a reflection of a fighters ability in the ring, Roxanne Modafferi definitely has her work cut out in her upcoming battle against Tara LaRosa, who took time off from her very busy training schedule only days before this bout in MFC 6, Boardwalk Blitz in Atlantic City to answer some questions.
BR: Why MMA, especially as a woman? How did you get involved in MMA?

Tara LaRosa: Growing up I loved Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and Van Damme movies...and Roadhouse!, anything with fighting. I was enthralled with the idea of competing against somebody one on one, since I had always played team sports. I really wanted to get into some kind of training or martial arts as a kid, but the parents said no. Finally, after getting kicked out of basketball and the play, my senior year in high school I got into karate ('95-'96). At college, I got involved with their judo club and began competing... a lot ('96-'01). At a judo tourney in April '01 I got to talking with these BJJ/MMA guys and they opened my eyes to what I had been missing out on.

In September of that year I hooked up with Team Roc, and in November I had my first MMA fight. To me MMA is the most complete form of competition, and I am a very competitive person. That is the why and how. As for being a woman... I didn't have much say in that.




BR: Do you think of yourself as a grappler or a striker? Do you consider yourself a fighter or a competitive athlete?

Tara LaRosa: I'm a grappler that has to play catch up on striking skills. I consider myself a competitive athlete. I was always the peacekeeper; I never got into fights or trouble.

BR: Did you play any other sport before or after you began doing fight sports?

Tara LaRosa: I played field hockey for 12 years, and played in college on a scholarship. I also played basketball and softball in middle and high school.

BR: How often do you train now? How often do you train in your striking?

Tara LaRosa: I don't really train, I just watch the UFC. (Shhh, keep that on the DL)

BR: As a professional MMA fighter, what would you like to achieve?

Tara LaRosa: (Laughing) Fame and fortune.

BR: You fight both gi and non-gi tournaments. Tell us the difference between the two.

Tara LaRosa: For me the gi game is slower and technical, tedious almost. No gi is much more quick and explosive. Kind of like the difference between low limit and no limit Texas Hold 'Em... no limit is so much more exciting.




BR: Which one do you prefer?

Tara LaRosa: No limit... I mean no gi. (Laughing)

BR: Do you think MMA could ever become an Olympic event?

Tara LaRosa: I don't know... they already have several combat sports: wrestling, boxing, TKD, and ice hockey. Actually, I believe they were kicking around the idea of having Pancrase as an event back in 2004, but it didn't fly.

BR: If you got to do anything you wanted to promote the sport of MMA in this country, what would you do?

Tara LaRosa: #1. Educate the lawmakers about the sport, in hopes of legalization.

#2. Have in depth medical studies done to show the validity of the argument that MMA is safer than boxing. Compile death records from boxing, injury claims/ reports, and personal testimonies. Take the results and plaster the media with them. Have educational films and documentaries made, submit the findings to magazines, journals, periodicals, etc.

#3. Form a national sanctioning body governing MMA. Unify the rules and standards.
Education is key. People reject what they don't understand. They build preconceived notions off of misinformation.

BR: Do you think, in the future, women's MMA can be recognized in the same level as men's MMA?

Tara LaRosa: I'd love to give you a big optimistic 'Miss America pageant' answer here but....probably not, (examples: women's basketball, women's boxing).

BR: What is your favorite thing to do beside MMA?

Tara LaRosa: I enjoy sleeping, with eating as a close second.




BR: Regarding your next fight, what are your thoughts on Roxanne Modafferi?

Tara LaRosa: Roxi is actually a good friend of mine, so I think it will be fun. We both love the sport and we're both really competitive people, and neither of us wants to lose. She has an advantage over me she is acquiring new skills by training over there in Japan... skills and techniques I haven't seen her use. I knew her old game, and that's all I have to go on. Me... I'm training in the same place the same hours by the same people... only difference, training for a different opponent. I know she has seen all my tapes and she's seen me fight a few times in person so she knows my demeanor... PLUS we rolled at the Last Woman Standing Tourney... so she knows what I can bring physically.
It's gonna be one hell of a fight.

BR: How long you think you are going to be fighting?

Tara LaRosa: This answer changes as I get older. I guess I'll continue until I settle down and start a family, I want to be a "soccer mom"...or maybe a jiu-jitsu mom? LOL.

BR: What would you like to achieve in your pro MMA career?

Tara LaRosa: Well, I accomplished my goal of fighting in Japan, that was my dream and it was so awesome and I am so grateful for being given those opportunities! I would like to fight in some other countries also. Then there is always the dream of fighting in the UFC, in my own country.

BR: Which is your favorite kind of music? Band? Song?

Tara LaRosa: In the gym, Linkin Park. In the car, country. In the shower, something I can dance to.

BR: What is your favorite type of food?

Tara LaRosa: I love ribs and seafood. I also cook Italian and Asian pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment