Sunday, December 10, 2017

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Alexis Davis vs Liz Carmouche

Here's the match video of Alexis Davis vs Liz Carmouche from last night's UFC show in Fresno, CA. Alexis won their first fight four years ago. Both fighters are dropping to Flyweight. Alexis fought at Flyweight before she was in Strikeforce. Liz says she thought she was undersized at Bantamweight. I don't think it matters much with Liz. I don't think she's an elite fighter and injuries have slowed her down. Alexis is good on the ground but she is error prone and that has cost her fights in the past. This is a close fight but not a great fight. I didn't think either gave a great performance. Round one is the key round as it could be scored either way. Liz got top position but didn't do much with it. But for some that could be enough to give her the round. But Alexis secured an armbar with time running out in the round. If she had got it earlier in the round, the fight would have been over. It was close enough to a finish for me to score the round 10-9 for Alexis. But it could have been scored for Liz based on what she did earlier in the round. So which is correct? They are both correct. It depends on your criteria. Two judges scored it for Alexis and the other one scored it for Liz. The other two rounds were easier to judge. I scored round two 10-9 for Alexis and round three 10-9 for Liz. And so did the judges. Alexis won by split decision. When you watch the fight, pay particular attention to round one and how you would judge it. I wasn't surprised by the fight. I think Alexis is a better fighter but her mistakes keep fights close. I have never been that high on Liz. And she didn't show me much in this fight. On Twitter, there has been speculation about who might get the first shot at Nicco Montano's UFC Flyweight Championship. I think the speculation is premature mostly because Nicco just had foot surgery so we won't see her until the middle of 2018. The other fighters need fights in the meantime. Most of the speculation assumes that Sijara Eubanks will get the first shot as a make good because she got sick. But I think its doubtful that she can make 125lb. She'll get the opportunity to prove she can do that before a title shot because Nicco is on the shelf anyway. And other contenders may surface. I'm not the one speculating about this. I'm telling those people to relax. Maybe watch this video and enjoy the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment