Friday, September 01, 2017

Yana Kunitskaya is the new Invicta Bantamweight Champion

Last night's Invicta FC 25 was at Tachi Palace in LeMoore, CA. Well, at least it wasn't in Kansas City. When Tonya Evinger left Invicta for the UFC, they decided to make Yana Kunitskaya vs Raquel Pa'aluhi for the vacant title. I don't have a big problem with it except I don't think either is an elite fighter. And remember Yana just lost a title match. I don't know what other choices there were. Raquel's history is she is a good but not great fighter. And she tends to come up short in big matches. Not surprisingly, that's what happened here. Yana pitched a shutout. She won 50-45 battering Raquel on the febce. Raquel was never a threat. The semi-main was supposed to be Livia Renata Sousa vs Jodie Esquibel for the vacant Strawweight title. But Jodie pulled out due to injury and Brazilian Janaisa Morandin was brought in for a non title match. Janaisa is 9-0. She was supposed to fight for Invicta a few months ago. But she missed weight and the match was cancelled. She is mostly a striker. But Livia is a BJJ whiz so I expected her to win easily and she did. She just didn't get a finish. In a Bantamweight match, German Katharina Lehner beat Alexa Connors by first round TKO. The only thing is that Katharina missed weight. In a Strawweight bout, wrestling whiz Sharon Jacobson was on top of Kali Robbins when Kali caught Sharon in an armbar at 42 seconds of round one. This is what makes MMA fun sometimes. In an Atomweight bout, Shino VanHoose beat Alyse Anderson by split decision. I missed most of this match as my wireless went down. I was watching on my HDTV via Roku. By the time it came back, the match was over. Based on what I saw, I don't think I missed anything. In a Bantamweight match, Sarah Kleczka beat Amberlynn Orr by split decision. It could have gone either way. I think I scored it 29-28 for Amberlynn. In a Welterweight match, Yaya Rincon beat Courtney King by second round TKO. Yaya comes from the same camp as Aspen Ladd. She has potential. In a Flyweight bout, Cheri Muraski beat Tracy Cortez by second round guillotine. Tracy started out OK but she was tired by the end of round one and that led to the finish. Cheri looks like a soccer mom. And in the opening match, Jillian DeCoursey beat Ashley Medina by split decision. I scored it 30-27 for Jillian. Ashley looked baffled at times. It may have been the jitters. So congratulations to the new Invicta Bantamweight Champion Yana Kunitskaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment