Monday, June 27, 2016

Lauren Murphy vs Katlyn Chookagian added to July 13 UFC show

Lauren Murphy, Katlyn Chookagian
This afternoon, Combat Press reported that Lauren Murphy vs Katlyn Chookagian has been added to UFC Fight Night 91 July 13 at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, SD. This show will air on Fox Sports 1 in the US and TSN in Canada. I expect this fight will air on the prelims. Regular readers of this blog will know that I am not a Lauren Murphy fan because she is a points fighter. She's a striker with no power or ground game. I thought she was overrated when she was a champ in Invicta. So she came to the UFC and lost a couple of close decisions. But that's the chance she takes as a points fighter. She actually got a late third round finish in her last fight. But her opponent Kelly Faszholz came in on short notice and ran out of gas early in the fight. So it doesn't count in my assessment of Lauren and I don't think the win helped her move up the Bantamweight ladder because here she is fighting another UFC newcomer on the prelims. Fans in the Northeast US should be familiar with Katlyn. She's from New Jersey and she trains at Renzo Gracie in Philadelphia. Her record is 7-0. The only problem is she has fought mostly at Flyweight and she is undersized for a Bantamweight. She was CFFC Flyweight Champion and she also fought in the WSOF and in Europe. I like that she has fought outside her region. The size difference could be a factor. I would be surprised if there is a finish in this fight. I expect it to go to a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment