Wednesday, January 13, 2021

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Kait Dunton


Artist:Kait Dunton

Song:Summer Solstice

Album:TrioKAIT


I am always asked if I listen to recent jazz or if I just listen to the classics and the answer is I listen to everything. I am always looking for new artists. And the great thing about AccuRadio is I have set it up so it will play almost anything at random. So when pianist Kait Dunton was played recently she got my attention. For one thing, I have always been an advocate for women in jazz. It took a long time for any woman to be taken seriously. It's getting easier but I wanted to feature Kait because she records for her own label and she deserves the exposure. Kate is from Los Angeles and she attended the University of Virginia and learned improvisation from trumpeter John D'earth. Then she earned a Masters in Music at North Texas State. After graduating, she moved back to Los Angeles. And after a stint in the popular group Snarky Puppy, she started her own record label. Kait has recorded six albums. Summer Solstice is from her third album and her first as TrioKAIT in 2015. This appears to be her touring band with Cooper Appelt on bass and Jake Reed on drums. After recording two more TrioKAIT albums, her latest album adds her mentor John D'earth to the trio. It looks like she is getting into film work too as she played keyboards on Mark Mothersbaugh's score for the 2019 film The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part. She also posts performance videos on YouTube which many jazz musicians should do but don't. It's a good way to check out Kait Dunton's music. Here's Kait Dunton and TrioKAIT performing Summer Solstice at Blue Whale in LosAngeles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment