Saturday, May 05, 2018

Sarah Kaufman wins Invicta FC Bantamweight Championship

The big news from last night's Invicta show was that Sarah Kaufman won the Invicta Bantamweight Championship. The show itself was blah. I thought there were too many mismatches at the top end of the card. And some of the fighters on the prelims seemed to be playing it safe. As I said, the main event had Sarah Kaufman winning the Invicta Bantamweight Championship with a third round rear naked choke over Katharina Lehner. This was Sarah's first submission win in her career. As I said when this match was made, I didn't think Katharina deserved a title shot. And she was terrible. Even before the fight ended I thought it was a deliberate mismatch to build Sarah up. Invicta has done that before in title matches. I guess they don't think we know when an opponent isn't good enough. And for those who think Sarah should still be in the UFC, she was 1-3 and her contract expired. Based on performance, she didn't deserve a renewal. And to get back there, she needs better opponents than she got last night. The co-main event was also a deliberate mismatch. Pannie Kianzad won over Bianca Daimoni by unanimous decision. Bianca is a typical Brazilian nobody brought to Invicta to lose. First, she missed weight. Then I took one look at her and she had "tomato can" written all over her. And she gave an awful performance. I had never seen her before. Invicta needs to stop doing that. And it didn't make me think Pannie could beat anyone good. And then another deliberate mismatch. Pearl Gonzalez won over Barbara Acioly by first round armbar. That didn't surprise me because we have seen Barbara before and she's terrible. This kind of matchmaking doesn't tell me how good the winner is. It tells me how awful the loser is and I already knew that about Barbara. Then we had Marceia Allen win over Julia Avila by injury. Marceia accidently kicked Julia's hand and ref Greg Franklin stopped the fight. The rest of the show was mostly blah. Liz Tracy beat Cheri Muraski by unanimous decision. Cheri is 39 years old and she looked her age. She was very slow. Liz was much quicker. In a Bantamweight bout, Lisa Spangler won her MMA debut over Sarah Kleczka by unanimous decision. Not only was Sarah coming in on short notice but she fought last week. See, I just don't think that should be allowed. It's irresponsible especially for the Missouri AC to approve it. I also thought Lisa might be better off at Flyweight. In a Welterweight bout, Macy Chiasson beat Allison Schmidt by unanimous decision. Macy looked OK but Allison looked inept. That does not bode well for the Welterweight division. And in the opener, Helen Peralta beat Chayanne Vlismas. I didn't think either of them was aggressive enough. And that was the problem with most of this show. These fighters were trying to not lose as opposed to trying to win. And of course the obvious mismatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment