Thursday, August 13, 2015

Liz Carmouche vs Raquel Pennington added to Sept. 5 UFC show

Raquel Pennington
The UFC announced on last night's episode of UFC Tonight that Liz Carmouche vs Raquel Pennington has been added to UFC 191 Sept. 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. I'm pretty sure this will air on the Fox Sports 1 prelims. Since Liz got her title shot in the very first UFC women's bout, she has had mixed results. In her last fight in April, she won by unanimous decision over Lauren Murphy. There was some whining about robbery but neither fighter looked very good in that fight. Liz has lost to Miesha Tate and Alexis Davis. Going back to her Strikeforce days, I don't think Liz has ever beaten a top ranked opponent. And I doubt she ever will. She's at a certain mid-card level and I don't see her rising above that. Raquel was in TUF 18. She's probably better than her 5-5 record. In her last fight, she broke her hand while losing a split decision to the highly touted boxing champ Holly Holm. She succeeded in making Holly look really bad in her UFC debut. Liz is ranked higher and is the likely betting favourite. But I wouldn't be surprised if Raquel pulled off what most would perceive as an upset. It wouldn't be an upset to me because I think Liz is a little overrated and Raquel is a little underrated. It should be a competitive fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment