Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Jango Song Of The Day-DLG (Dark Latin Groove)

Artist:DLG (Dark Latin Groove)
Song:No Morira (No Matter What)
Album:Greatest Hits





With their mix of Latin and hip hop grooves, DLG had a big impact on the Latin music market in the mid-90s. No Morira was their first big hit. The group was put together by producer Sergio George. He has been a part of the New York music scene for many years as owner of RMM Records. He was producing some of the biggest stars in Latin music. In the mid-90s, George could see where the music business was headed and scouted clubs looking to put together a Latin themed hip hop band. He found a singer named Huey Dunbar. Dunbar is of Puerto Rican descent and he was a backup vocalist in New York clubs. He also discovered rapper James "Da Barba" De Jesus. George would play keyboards himself and signed a distribution deal with Sony for his new Sir George label. No Morira was the first single from their 1996 debut CD. The single topped the Latin music charts and the CD did very well. It offered a new sound that hadn't been heard in that market. DLG released three very popular CDs and then Huey Dunbar left to go solo in 2000. DLG split up and this comp is a good intro to their music. George reformed DLG in 2007. James De Jesus returned but Dunbar did not. The new lead singer is Yahaira "Miss YaYa" Vargas. Apparently George found her on MySpace. Their CD Renacer was nominated for a 2009 Best Tropical Album Grammy. DLG has a very interesting sound so check out the video for No Morira.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:37 PM

    I have to say that I usually follow your blog to find out news on female MMA. But I found it as a pleasent surprise when i saw you post something of DLG. Not to be a snob though, but whoever translated "No Morira" did it wrong. No Morira means "It will not die" Sorry again if i sound like a snob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't speak Spanish so it wasn't me. I dunno. I guess Sony is to blame. But I've been a huge Latin music fan for many years, especially Latin jazz. DLG has a very unique sound that has been copied a lot by lesser artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I should also mention that finding an embeddable copy of that video was a chore in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:11 PM

    yes, i was sure it wasn't yourself who translated. I'm glad you enjoy latin music. You should listen to Aventura. Maybe you heard of them. They are very much like DLG except Aventura does mostly Bachata, and DLG does mostly Salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard them. I'm not crazy about them. Like I said, I'm a jazz guy. I recently posted an Eddie Palmieri video and I'm a big fan of the film Calle 54. I'll do more Latin music in the future. Anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete