Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Jango Song Of The Day-Instant Funk


Artist:Instant Funk
Song:I Got My Mind Made Up
Album:I Got My Mind Made Up: The Best Of Instant Funk





Instant Funk started out as a 70s Philly Soul backup band and came out front to top the R & B and Dance charts and have a top 20 pop hit with I Got My Mind Made Up in 1978. The core of the group was bassist Raymond Earl, drummer Scotty Miller and his guitarist brother Kim Miller from Newark, NJ. Earl and Scotty Miller formed The Music Machine in the mid-60s and backed up The TNJs. Philadelphia International staff songwriter Bunny Sigler checked them out in 1971 and they started backing him up and playing on other PIR sessions. They were on Sigler's 70s hits and on hits by Evelyn "Champagne" King, The O'Jays, Jean Carn, Dexter Wansel and many others. When MFSB guitarist Norman Harris started Gold Mind Records in 1977 with distribution by Salsoul, Sigler left PIR and took Instant Funk with him to Gold Mind. They recorded I Got My Mind Made Up and when all the other labels turned it down, they decided to release it on Gold Mind. The remixed version by DJ Larry Levan topped the R & B and Dance charts and reached #20 on the Billboard Hot 100. Subsequent albums did very well in the R & B and Dance markets. And the only reason Instant Funk stopped recording is that Salsoul folded in 1984. The Salsoul recordings are now licensed to Koch Records and you can get the original version and the remix of I Got My Mind Made Up on this 2006 comp. Raymond Earl produced the 1987 R & B hit Love Rap Ballad for rapper True Love and is currently the A & R director of the production company The Organization. Here's Instant Funk performing I Got My Mind Made Up 1978.

No comments:

Post a Comment