Thursday, November 17, 2005

Physiotherapy for Thursday Nov. 17

I was at Lyndhurst today for physiotherapy. I ran into my pal Josh. He was waiting for Wheeltrans. We were roommates at Lyndhurst for over four months. He moved into his apartment a few days before I moved into mine. He's going to Lyndhurst for physiotherapy & occupational therapy three days a week. He's a quad so what he's trying to do is get more function in his hands so he can grip things better and do more for himself. He's made a lot of progress but like the rest of us he has a long way to go. Josh says he wants to go back to school to take journalism so I suggested that he should start a blog and practice writing. I hope he does that. I'm sure I'll run into him again.

So I did some assisted walking today with a walker and also parellel bars. It's difficult to stay straight up because my knees want to buckle all the time. I also did straight leg lifts. I prefer doing them lying down as they are more effective. If I'm doing them sitting up I tend to use my upper body to compensate for the weakness in my legs. When lying down, I'm using my trunk more which is what I need to do. Either way they sure take a lot out of me. William & I are still figuring out which exercises are more effective. I'll try anything but I'll say something if I don't think the exercise is working.

Afterwards I spent some time with Stuart, another former roommate. He's a quad too and he's had a rough time at Lyndhurst but is improving slowly. He and his wife are building a new house but he'll probably have to go somewhere else while waiting for the house to be built. This will probably happen in a couple of weeks. He was asking me about Ted, another former patient who went home a couple of weeks ago. So I phoned Ted and he was at his computer. He's doing pretty well and hopes to drive pretty soon. Stuart was very happy I called him. Of course Stuart lied and said he was feeling pretty good. We all laughed.

Then I had to wait a while. Wheeltrans screwed up. When I booked the trip yesterday, they told me the pickup was at 5:25PM. He gave me the wrong time and it should have been 6:25PM. If I had known that I wouldn't have accepted it and gone on standby and get a better pickup time. I won't sit around for 90 minutes. This is a problem because as a diabetic, I have to be careful that my blood sugar doesn't get too low. I could get dizzy and pass out. Fortunately, I always carry a snack for just such an occasion. I'll have to keep a close eye on Wheeltrans. I'm back at Lyndhurst on Monday for an appointment with Dr. Oshidari and then physiotherapy on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment