Monday, February 10, 2020

Invicta Phoenix Series 3 analysis

Invicta announced the card for their Mar. 6 show. Most of it is a Bantamweight tournament like the first two they did. All the fights are one round fights until the three round final. As I have said before, I don't like the one round fights. There is also a Bantamweight title match on this show. I assume that will be the main event. That will be Lisa Verzosa vs Julia Stoliarenko. Lisa is 24 years old from Vancouver, WA. She has won all five of her Invicta fights. Julia is 26 years old from Lithuania. Her record is 8-3-1. She was in TUF 28 for Featherweights and the UFC passed on her. I don't like that she is getting a title shot in her Invicta debut. The fighters in the tournament are Autumn Norton, Brittney Victoria, Clare Guthrie, Erin Harpe, Hope Chase, Kerri Kenneson, Taneisha Tennant and Taylor Guardado. Most are younger fighters with limited experience. It's too much of a crapshoot for me which is why I don't like this tournament format. There are also a couple of reserve bouts in case of injury. One is Mitzi Merry vs Morgan Hickam and the other is Serena DeJesus vs Julia Ottolino. Plus there are two Strawweight bouts with Amber Brown vs Sharon Jacobson and Kay Hansen vs Liana Pirosin. I guess Invicta's hope is that one of the tournament fighters is a breakout star like Brianna Van Buren. I guess we'll have to watch to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment