Sunday, April 14, 2024

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Zhang Weili vs Yan Xiaonan

Here's the fight video of Zhang Weili defending her UFC Strawweight Championship against Yan Xiaonan from last night's UFC show in Las Vegas. Zhang is 34 years old from China. She is training with John Wood at Syndicate MMA in Las Vegas. Zhang is 8-2 in the UFC. this is her second run with the UFC Strawweight Championship. Yan is also 34 years old from China. She trains with Danny Castillo at Team Alpha Male in Sacramento. She's on a two fight winning streak. Yan is a striker. Zhang's big advantage is her grappling. I thought she could win the fight easily by getting it to the ground. And that's pretty much what happened. Yan started out OK in round one by keeping Zhang at a distance. But Zhang took her down and by the end of the round had gotten her in a rear naked choke. I thought she was out and the fight should have been stopped. But ref Jason Herzog ruled that Yan was saved by the bell. I scored the round 10-9 for Zhang because Yan did well in the first half of the round. Zhang continued to dominate on the ground in round two and I scored the round 10-8 for Zhang. Zhang looked like she was out of it in round three. And she said afterwards that she was. So I scored round three 10-9 for Yan. But Zhang won the final two rounds. So I scored the fight 49-45 for Zhang and so did all three judges. As I said, I expected Zhang to win so there were no surprises. The next challenger should be a hopefully healthy Tatiana Suarez. Enjoy the video! 

No comments:

Post a Comment