Thursday, November 16, 2023

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-The Blackout Allstars


Artist:The Blackout Allstars

Song:I Like It

Album:I Like it Like That: Music from the Motion Picture Vol.1


Most Latin music fans should be familiar with 1967 classic I Like it Like That by Pete Rodriguez. The producers of the 1994 film I Like it Like That asked record producer Sergio George to make a new version of the song to be used as the film's theme. It's a romance film aimed at the Latino market written and directed by Darnell Martin. She directed the 2008 film Cadillac Records about Chess Records owner Leonard Chess. For the theme, George assembled an all star collection of Latin jazz musicians including Tito Nieves on lead vocals, Paquito D'Rivera, Grover Washington Jr. and Luis Disla on sax, Jose "Ite" on trumpet, William Cepeda on trombone, Dave Valentin on flute, Ruben Rodriguez on bass and Ray Barretto, Shiela E., and Tito Puente on percussion. George called them The Blackout Allstars. It was a one off. They never recorded together again. Except for Nieves, they didn't appear in the video. Though the soundtrack album did well enough for Columbia to release a second volume of music from the film, I like It was not a hit at the time. Then in 1996 Burger King used a remix of I Like It in a commercial. And the record got enough radio airplay to reach #25 on the Billboard Hot 100. So I guess this fluke hit single was also a one hit wonder. The soundtrack album is available as a budget CD. If you are wondering why Washington is on this, Columbia released the soundtrack and was on Columbia at the time. Washington died in 1999 and Puente died in 2000. So The Blackout Allstars never recorded again. But I like It is pretty good and I also suggest you check out the original by Pete Rodriguez. Here's the video for I Like It by The Blackout Allstars.

No comments:

Post a Comment