Tuesday, June 08, 2010

People In Motion 2010

On Friday I went to the annual People In Motion show at the Queen Elizabeth Centre at the CNE in my usual quest to find new products for the disabled community. The big difference this year is that I was live Tweeting from the show. I got my new LG EVE Smartphone earlier in the week and it was my first attempt using the camera phone. I took several pictures and you can see them at my Twitter feed at http://www.twitter.com/frankp316/ Since I've become a Twitterholic over the last year, I have been asked to explain Twitter. Twitter is an interactive live feed. If you already subscribe to news feeds on something like Google Reader, then you already have half of that equation. On Twitter, you can Retweet news items, reply to Tweets and there will be replies to your Tweets. It's not for people who don't want to be interactive. I use it mostly to promote my blog and get content for my blog. And blog hits are up. You can follow celebrities but I don't do that. I follow people of interest to me and I don't care if they follow me. And if someone follows me, I don't necessarily follow them. The Smartphone enhances Twitter because I'm not online all the time. There are apps and websites that can assist you with your Twitter experience. I use http://www.hootsuite.com/ It's not for everyone but I'm addicted to it now.





Alex
On to the show. There were three new products at this year's show that I thought were very interesting. Strangely enough, the first product is one of particular interest to me. It's a new powerchair from Handicare called Alex. Handicare sells all kinds of products from their North Toronto location. The big thing about Alex is it has a unique suspension system called Vibration Absorption (VIA). I'm a very active powerchair user and I went to the show by subway. But the standard suspension of powerchairs is not designed to handle many of the bumps on city streets. The Alex has an independent suspension system that not only absorbs heavy bumps but also smaller vibrations providing greater user comfort. Handicare also claims that the Alex has better maneuverability, seating adjustibility and modular design. I'm eligible for a new powerchair next year and I might look at this. The only problem is that with the independent suspension at the front of the frame, there are limited options for footplates. Because of my height, my footplates are low so I raise them so I can get over curbs. I was told that is something that they would look into. The Alex doesn't have ADP approval yet but it should be approved very soon. It's already available in Europe. For more info, you can call Handicare at 416-739-8333 and their website is http://www.handicare.ca/





Quingo Scooter
I've never used a scooter but I've seen enough folks struggle with maneuverability that the time has come for a new product standard. Most scooters have either three or four wheels but the Quingo scooter has five wheels. The big thing here is safety and maneuverabilty. The stability of the average three wheel scooter leaves a lot to be desired. The Quingo solves that with self centering steering and weight distribution that makes the Quingo more stable on uneven surfaces. Three wheel scooters can tip over. Four wheel scooters are difficult to maneuver. I've seen them on a TTC bus. It's not pretty. But the Quingo has a much smaller turning radius making it easier to get around safely. The Quingo is available in several models and there are also accessories available. It is not yet ADP approved but that approval is coming soon. For more info on Quingo, you can contact Viewpoint Mobility at 905-829-4124 or vist their website at http://www.quingoscooters.com/





Froglegs
A few years ago, Magic Wheels introduced their revolutionary system to help manual wheelchair users avoid shoulder pain when going up steep grades. Froglegs manufactures a suspension system for manual chairs that acts like a shock absorber. The suspension for manual chairs is very rigid. Froglegs is an aftermarket product that prevents pitching and removes most of the vibration resulting in a much smoother and safer ride. It reduces muscle spasms, pain and fatigue and greatly extends the life of the wheelchair. And it will fit most manual wheelchairs. There are three models available and they sell for about $300US. The company is based in Ottumwa, IA. and this was their first visit to Canada. It's not an expensive product but Froglegs owner Mark Chelgren asked me about getting dealers here interested in the product. Of course I suggested that he should do what he did in the US and get approval for Canadian government plans like ADP in Ontario. The company has been around for 15 years so he knows what he needs to do. For more info about Froglegs, their website is http://www.froglegsinc.com/ As usual, there were plenty of other products and services at People In Motion. So for a one stop shop for mobility, be sure to go to next year's show. I'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment