Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My chair is in the shop


I guess it was inevitable that when one uses a power chair as much as I do, it's bound to wind up in the shop. I've had it for two years. I started having trouble with it last week. It was vibrating when I first started it. It was no trouble once I got going. So I called the Ontario Diability Support Program on Friday to set up a service call. Over the weekend the battery started shorting out. Well, that's a big problem. So my service guy Sam from Medi-Chair came yesterday and said I blew a motor just like NASCAR. It actually has two electric motors but Sam says both have to be replaced. We decided that I need a loaner so he returned today to swap out chairs. The shorting out of the battery was intolerable. He brought a chair very similar to mine and he installed my seat cushion and backrest on this chair. It's got footrests and I prefer my footplates and the control is a little awkward. Sam says he has to get a price for the motors and send the quote to ODSP. He'll do that tomorrow. He's also going to test the battery as he thinks it might need to be replaced. The repair should take about a month. At least I have use of this one in the meantime. It'll take some getting used to though.

No comments:

Post a Comment