Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST song of the day

Artist:John Prine
Song:Sam Stone
Album:John Prine




Along with his best pal Steve Goodman (he wrote City Of New Orleans), John Prine came out of the late 60s Chicago folk scene. Kris Kristofferson helped Prine land a record contract with Atlantic. Atlantic made the mistake of trying to sell Prine as a Bob Dylan clone. Prine is much more than that. He injects a lot of humour into his songs and has a strong following among other singers. Sam Stone is a classic 1971 song looking at the effect of the Vietnam War on soldiers coming home. It has very powerful imagery. After Prine was dropped by Atlantic/Asylum in the early 80s, he started his own Oh Boy label. Prine had a cancer scare in 1998 but has recovered and is still going strong today on Oh Boy Records. He's definitely worth seeking out.




Now that I have new glasses, I want to go see movies again on the big screen. So today I am going to the Queensway Cineplex Odeon to see Superman Returns. That's the closest multiplex. I'm a big Superman fan so it should be good. I will review it when I get home and I hope to do this regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment