Friday, July 21, 2006

I finally got new glasses today

I finally got my new glasses today three months after asking for an appointment. This just illustrates the kind of hoops the disabled have to jump through to do anything. I had to go see an opthamologist which is basically an eye surgeon. Opthamologists are usually prefererable to optometrists for diabetics. They can find problems affected by diabetes. The appointment was rescheduled once but I did see Dr. Mednick at 385 The West Mall on June 30. Wheeltrans messed up my ride but we got it done anyway. It used to be I was nearsighted in one eye and 20/20 in the other. Now I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. That means I need bifocals. See what happens when you get old.



In order to get the Ontario Disability Support Program to pay for the glasses, I faxed them the prescription. They sent me a form to give to an optician. I guess they don't want anyone buying designer frames. Though it said there are restrictions, it didn't say what they are. So I called ODSP and they said the optician would know. The closest optician is Eye Candy at 3170 Lakeshore Blvd. W. I called him to make sure he knew what to do with the ODSP form. He did so I went there and Shawn filled the prescription Tuesday of last week and I called him today and the glasses were ready. It will take some time to get used to them and I only wear them when watching TV or reading. I'm not wearing them now. Fortunately, I can do a lot of things myself and the power chair helps a lot. I hate to think what this is like for people who aren't as mobile as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment