Sunday, June 13, 2021

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Lauren Murphy vs Joanne Calderwood

Here's the match video of Lauren Murphy vs Joanne Calderwood from UFC 263 in Arizona. The winner of this fight gets a shot at Valentina Shevchenko's UFC Flyweight Championship. Both are veteran midcard fighters. Lauren has been on a winning streak since training at Fortis MMA in Houston with Saif Saud. Joanne is from Scotland but she trains with John Wood at Syndicate MMA in Las Vegas. Both fighters are known for not doing enough to win fights. So I expected a close but not very good fight. Round one was the key round as two of the judges scored it 10-9 for Lauren and one scored it 10-9 for Joanne. I scored it 9-9 because I didn't think either of them did enough. I am aware that judges don't score fights that way. The other two rounds were easier to score. Lauren won round two with what I would call lay and pray. She got a takedown, maintained top position but did nothing to advance her position. Maybe the ref should have stood them up. I scored it 10-9 for Lauren and so did all three judges. It was not close to a 10-8 round. Both coaches yelled at their fighters between rounds for not showing any urgency. I guess that woke Joanne up because she was a lot better in round three. I scored it 10-9 for Joanne and so did all three judges. So I scored it a 28-28 draw and Lauren won by split decision. But nothing Lauren did in this fight made me think she had any hope of beating Valentina. Joanne needed to get off to a better start and she didn't do that. And Lauren needed to take advantage of that and she didn't do that either. They showed me nothing. And I guess they showed their coaches nothing because they yelled at them. Enjoy the video! 

No comments:

Post a Comment