Sunday, August 26, 2018

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Cortney Casey vs Angela Hill

Here's the match video of Cortney Casey vs Angela Hill from last night's UFC show in Lincoln, NE. If you listened to Friday's podcast, you'll know that though Angela was the favorite, I thought it would be fairly even. I think Cortney is a marginally better fighter but both are midcard at best. Cortney may have potential to be better but she hasn't shown that in the UFC. Angela is popular because of her personality but she's a one dimensional kickboxer. I don't think either fighter did enough to win. And that's why it was a split decision. The kneejerk reaction is to blame the judges. But fighters need to be more aggressive and win decisively. I didn't care who won because neither Cortney or Angela showed me that that they could beat anyone good. And that's all Angela talked about this week. She wants better competition and a title shot. But she didn't do enough to win this fight. Scores were all over the map. I scored round one 10-9 for Cortney because she got a takedown and her striking was a little better. But some might think that armbar attempt at the end should give Angela the round. Cortney seemed to tire in round two so I scored the round 10-9 for Angela. Between rounds, Cortney's coach John Crouch told her the fight was even. I scored the third 10-9 for Cortney. I guess she did enough for me to score the fight 29-28 for Cortney though I didn't think either of them won the fight. One judge scored it 30-27 for Cortney. A second scored it 29-28 for Angela. And the third scored it 29-28 for Cortney. It was a close but not very good fight. Too much light sparring for me. I'm still not convinced that Cortney can beat anyone good. And maybe Angela doesn't belong in the UFC. Enjoy the fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment