Monday, May 24, 2010

Jango Song Of The Day-Laura Marling

Artist:Laura Marling
Song:New Romantic
Album:My Manic and I





Teenage folksinger Laura Marling is making a big splash especially in her native England. She's a good example of someone building a fanbase throught non-traditional means. From what I can tell, New Romantic is only available on the My Manic and I EP via MP3 download. She was born Feb. 1, 1990 in Hampshire, England. She first surfaced in the London folk scene as a member of Noah and the Whale and she had a relationship with the group leader Charlie Fink. But they split up and she left the group and started posting her own music on MySpace. Not only were music fans downloading her songs but she was contacted by The Rakes lead singer Alan Donohoe to work with them. She also appeared with the group Mystery Jets. The 2007 EP My Manic and I was released independently but then Laura signed with EMI and it was released on Virgin. And though there is a video for New Romantic, the song never turned up on her albums. But you can still get it as an MP3 download. EMI moved Laura to Astralwerks for her 2008 debut CD Alas I Cannot Swim. She was moved back to Virgin for her new CD I Speak Because I Can. It was produced by Ethan Johns (Ryan Adams) and reached #4 on the British album charts. This young singer songwriter seems to be maturing quite nicely and it should be interesting to follow her progression. Here's the video for New Romantic by Laura Marling.

No comments:

Post a Comment