Artist:Martin Briley
Song:The Salt in My Tears
Album:The Mercury Years
Occasionally, a record charts because it sounds like a big star. I call it "soundalike". British musician Martin Briley is mainly a studio musician. But in the early 80s, Briley recorded a couple of solo albums and scored a top 40 hit with the 1983 single The Salt in My Tears because it sounded like Phil Collins. It ain't just me. In his review of Briley's 1983 album One Night with a Stranger, Allmusic's William Ruhlmann said that Briley sounded like either Phil Collins or Sting. And that could be why Briley's attempt at a solo career failed. Briley was born Aug. 17, 1949 in London, England. He started playing and writing music when he was ten years old. He formed the band Mandrake and they signed with Parlaphone/EMI. But they only released two singles. Legendary producer George Martin hired Briley to work at his AIR Studio in London and Briley became an in demand session guitarist. Briley joined the progressive rock band Greenslade for two years. They recorded four albums for Warner Bros. and split up in 1976. Then Briley moved to New York and became a session and touring guitarist. The most notable act he toured with was Meat Loaf when the album Bat Out of Hell was hot. Then he signed a solo record deal with Mercury Records. He recorded three albums for Mercury. One Night with a Stranger was the second album in 1983. Briley sang, played guitar and wrote all the songs. Peter Coleman is credited as producer. But he's a recording engineer. So I assume that Briley produced the album too. The Salt in My Tears reached #36 on the Billboard Hot 100 mainly because MTV played the music video featuring actress Marie-Elise Grepne to death. She had recently appeared in the James Bond film Octopussy. Why didn't it chart higher? I think some thought it was a Phil Collins song. And when they found out it wasn't a Phil Collins song, they didn't want to here it anymore. The album One Night with a Stranger is out of print. You can get The Salt of My Tears on this comp which is available as a digital download. After his Mercury albums, Briley returned to songwriting and session work and he still does that today. I don't think he was distinctive enough to be successful as a solo act. The only reason this song charted is MTV liked the video. Here's the video for The Salt in My Tears by Martin Briley.

I love that song. I have it in my computer in my music library and still listen to it. I never thought it was Phil Collins or Sting that was singing. I watched the video and thought it was okay. Thanks Frank for the song and the information. David.
ReplyDeleteI thought it sounded too much like Collins when it played yesterday.
ReplyDelete